Parole Board rules Baby P’s mother should be released from prison

0

Baby P’s mother, who died after months of abuse, could be freed from prison after the parole board ruled she should be freed.

Tracey Connelly was jailed at the Old Bailey in 2009 for causing or enabling the death of her 17-month-old son Peter at their home in Tottenham, north London, on August 3, 2007.

Publicly known as Baby P, he had suffered more than 50 injuries – despite being on the People at Risk Register and receiving 60 visits from social workers, police and medical professionals in eight months.

Connelly, now 40, admitted the offense and was sentenced to jail for public protection for a minimum of five years.

Her boyfriend Steven Barker and her brother Jason Owen were convicted of the same offence.

A series of reviews identified missed opportunities for officials to save the toddler’s life if they had responded correctly to warning signs.

Baby P has died after months of abuse (ITV News/PA)

A parole board spokesman said on Wednesday: ‘We can confirm that a parole board panel ordered the release of Tracey Connelly following an oral hearing.

“Parole Board decisions focus solely on the risk an inmate might pose to the public if released and whether that risk is manageable in the community.

“Parole reviews are done thoroughly and with extreme care. Protecting the public is our number one priority. »

According to a parole report, at the time of her crimes, Connelly, then 25, formed relationships quickly, used sex to “help her feel better about herself” and had an “inability to controlling extreme emotions. She has also been described as “manipulative” and lacking in empathy.

Connelly was released on license in 2013 but called back to prison in 2015 for violating her parole conditions by “developing intimate personal relationships” online and inciting another resident of her accommodation to engage in “inappropriate sexualized behavior”.

This is his fourth parole review. The decision was due to be made last year but was delayed for more information.

The Parole Board reviewed Connelly’s case for the third time in 2019 following previous reviews in 2015 and 2017, and refused to release her or transfer her to an open prison. In 2020, she lost an appeal against the parole board’s latest decision not to release her.

Since his recall to prison, Connelly has participated in a three-year “very intensive” Department of Justice and NHS treatment program and is “now able to work openly and honestly with professionals”, the report adds.

The Parole Board said it was satisfied Connelly was fit for release after hearing that she was now considered to be “at low risk of committing a further offence” and that her probation officers and prison officials prison supported the plan.

Justice Secretary Dominic Raab was represented throughout the review and his representative “confirmed that this recommendation was accepted”, the report said.

Connelly will be subject to restrictions on her movements, activities and who she contacts, and faces 20 additional license conditions.

These include living at a specified address, being supervised on probation, wearing an electronic tag, adhering to a curfew and having to disclose one’s relationships.

Her internet and phone use will be monitored and she has been told she cannot go to certain places to “avoid contact with victims and to protect children”.


Source link

Share.

Comments are closed.