Lemon drizzle is one of the nation’s favorite cakes.
Soft, tangy and absolutely indulgent, the delicious bread goes perfectly with a cup of tea.
In the latest series of The Great British Bake Off, one of the episodes was all about ‘free’ – baked goods that are free of dairy, eggs and wheat.
READ MORE: Six free bakers to follow to make you a star baker
Instagrammer @cakeontherun is known for its vegan and gluten-free cuisine and its latest recipe is a must-try this week.
She describes it as her “best lemon drizzle” because it’s wonderfully moist and so easy to make.
Even though it does not contain eggs, it has a nice rise and a chewy texture. The secret is to use lemon juice and baking powder.
The chemical reaction when the two ingredients are combined helps create air in the mixture.
Watch how to make Dream Citrus Bread in the video above or follow the simple method instructions below.
If you’re obsessed with The Great British Bake Off and all things baking, you’re in luck, and so are we!
Our Bake On Bake Off newsletter is full of gossip and reactions from the famous TV show.
Plus, it’s packed with super quick and easy recipes anyone can try at home.
You don’t need fancy ingredients or equipment, and some baked goods can be microwaved in less than a minute.
Many recipes are healthy, vegan and gluten-free.
It’s free and you’ll get an email straight to your inbox twice a week.
It takes a few seconds to register – just tap here, enter your email address and follow the instructions.
Changed your mind? There is an “unsubscribe” button at the bottom of every newsletter we send.
Vegan Lemon Drizzle Recipe (2lb loaf)
- 200 g margarine (check the label to see if it does not contain milk)
- 200g plain soy yogurt
- 200 g dairy-free milk (such as soy, oat or almond)
- 250g caster sugar
- 400 g gluten-free self-rising flour
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free baking powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon essence
- Squeeze lemon juice
More for the drizzle
- 300g caster sugar
- Squeeze lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 180C/ 350F/ Gas Mark 4.
- Beat margarine and sugar together in a large bowl until smooth and creamy.
- Sift the flour and add all the other ingredients to the bowl and stir gently until combined. Do not overmix.
- Pour mixture into a 2 lb loaf pan (or two 8-inch lined baking pans or 24 cupcake liners) lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 40 minutes. You may need to cover with foil halfway through to keep it from burning. Check that the cake is cooked by inserting a knife into the sponge cake and if it comes out clean, it is cooked.
- Once cooled but still in the cake tin, prick the top with a fork and pour over the lemon drizzle.
- When the sugar has hardened, remove the bread from the pan, slice and serve.
Inspired by The Great British Bake Off?
Try making easy “Twix” style caramel shortbread cookies. Get the recipe here.
Or why not try Prue Leith’s famous malt bread recipe that this year’s bakers had to follow in the tent?
For something savory, try this focaccia bread recipe that you can make in under 15 minutes.
For lots of quick and easy recipes, sign up for our free baking newsletter.