Over a decade ago, a reader named Amy B. shared some favorite dairy-free recipes with us. One of them was this dairy-free strawberry ice cream cake, which she made for her daughter’s 6th birthday. It’s a single layer cake (chocolate or vanilla) turned into a three layer cake with Amy’s Easy Homemade Vegan Strawberry Ice Cream.
Since my daughter was diagnosed with dairy and nut allergies, I have benefited a lot from this website and the book. Go dairy free that I got for Christmas. I wanted to “pay it back” by sharing with everyone a super quick and easy dairy-free alternative for a birthday present. I made this dairy-free strawberry ice cream cake for my daughter’s birthday last week, and it was a big hit! I absolutely have to credit the cookbook Heavenly Rose Cakes for the idea!
Dairy Free Strawberry Ice Cream Cake with Easy Vegan Ice Cream
In honour of National Ice Cream Cake Daywe’ve updated Amy’s recipe and also have some alternative notes, tips and ideas to share.
Amy likes to use chocolate cake with strawberry ice cream. You can bake 1 cake layer (1/2 batch) of this Chocolate birthday cake recipe where Dairy Free Gluten Free Chocolate Birthday Cake. Or you can use cake mix! Many brands are dairy-free and even have dairy-free instructions (add eggs, oil, and water). See our Duncan Hines Cake Mixing Guide or our Complete guide to dairy-free cake mixes.
Cake pan size: You can use 8, 9 or 10 inch pans. Just be sure to adjust the baking time of the cake accordingly (a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake should come out clean. But use a cake pan the same size or larger than the springform pan. You want let the baked cake fill the springform pan, and you can always cut it to fit.
We like to use a base Dairy Free Buttercream Frosting Recipe, but like cake mixes, many store-bought frosting boxes are dairy-free! Here is a quick list of Dairy Free Duncan Hines Frosting options.
Strawberry Frosting Option: If you are making homemade frosting, you can infuse it with strawberry flavor. Grind about 1/2 cup freeze-dried strawberries in a spice grinder or small food processor. Stir the powdered strawberries into the icing. you can use more or less depending on how much strawberry flavor and color you want.
Dairy-free ice cream options
You can substitute the sweetener with plain old sugar if you prefer. Since berries can vary widely in sweetness, it’s best to taste the mixture before churning. You may want to add a little more sweetener. The mixture will taste a little less sweet when frozen. Avoid sugar-free sweeteners, which will result in very hard ice cream.
You can exchange other berries for strawberries. If using blackberries or raspberries, blend them first and pass them through a fine-mesh sieve to remove the seeds. Use the seedless puree in place of the berries when mixing the ice cream mixture.
No ice cream maker? See our article on How to make dairy-free ice cream without an ice cream maker. It includes several methods.
Special Dietary Notes: Dairy-Free Strawberry Ice Cream Cake
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free/dairy-free, and optionally egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian. Just be sure to choose the cake and frosting options that suit your dietary needs.
Dairy Free Strawberry Ice Cream Cake
Author: Amy B
Type of recipe: Dessert
- 1 recipe dairy-free white or chocolate cake (single layer; see post above for suggestions)
- 10 ounces frozen strawberries (or your favorite berry)
- 1 (13.5 ounces) whole coconut milk
- ⅓ cup honey or agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dairy-free frosting (see post above for suggestions)
- Bake the cake in a 9 inch or 10 inch cake pan and let cool completely. (See note on cake pan size in post above.)
- Cut the cake horizontally in two parts, the top slightly larger than the bottom. Set top half aside and place bottom half in 9-inch springform pan, trimming cake if necessary. A pancake spatula, a pizza spatula, the bottom of a pie pan or a very flat plate can help you with this maneuver.
- Put the strawberries, coconut milk, sweetener and vanilla in your blender and blend until there are no more strawberry pieces.
- Process the mixture in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Once churned, the ice cream should have a soft consistency. Spread it over the bottom half of the cake, in your springform pan. Place top half of cake over ice cream, trimming if necessary.
- Spray a large piece of plastic wrap with release spray, place it on top of the cake and press down firmly to remove any air bubbles.
- Freeze the cake for 4 hours or more.
- Frost the cake and decorate as desired. Keep the cake frozen until ready to serve.
Cake Decorations: If you decorate with fresh fruit, add the fruit just before serving. it will be tough if frozen.
Portion: 1 slice calories: 490 Big: 25.4g Saturated fat: 10.5g Carbohydrates: 66.3g Sugar: 51.6g Sodium: 317mg Fiber: 2.2g Protein: 2.7g
More dairy-free ice cream dessert recipes
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough “Ice Cream” Sandwiches
Vegan Caramel Apple Crumble Ice Cream Pie
Drumstick Ice Cream Cones (Nutty Buddies Copycat)