Here I have combined one of my favorite cakes with one of my favorite flavors.
FOR 12 TO 14 PEOPLE
FOR THE CAKE
unsalted butter, for the mold 6 large eggs separated 200 g caster sugar
250g plain flour
1½ tsp baking powder 1 tsp ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cardamom 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground cloves 100 ml whole milk
FOR THE SOAK
397g canned condensed milk
410g canned evaporated milk 200ml fresh cream
500 ml heavy cream 1 tablespoon caster sugar
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C convection/gas Butter a 30 cm x 20 cm x 4 cm-5 cm deep cake tin and line it with non-stick baking paper.
- In a bowl and using an electric whisk, beat the egg yolks with half the sugar for 5-6 minutes until pale, fluffy and almost doubled in volume .
- In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and spices and mix well. Add the dry ingredients to the egg yolk mixture and stir. Then gently stir in the milk.
- In another bowl, beat the egg whites with a clean electric whisk until soft. Slowly add the remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, whisking constantly. Once it’s firm and shiny, add a ladleful of it to the batter and stir it in. Add all the rest of the egg white mixture and gently fold it in.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, spreading it evenly and bake for 30 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the sponge cake comes out clean.
- Combine all the ingredients for the dip in a saucepan, bring to a boil and immediately turn off the heat. Let cool and infuse while the cake bakes.
- As soon as the cake is cooked, use a toothpick or skewer to prick all over the Remove the tea bags from the dip and pour all the liquid evenly over the cake. Let cool, then refrigerate for 3-4 hours, or overnight, if possible.
- To serve, whip cream with sugar until thick and smooth. Top portions of the cake with the cream, sprinkle with a pinch of cinnamon and drizzle some dipping from the mold. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
NOW BUY THE BOOK
Our recipes are taken from Chetna’s Easy Baking by Chetna Makan, published by Octopus, £20. To order a copy for £17 until June 26, go to mailshop.co.uk/books*