Flourless chocolate cakes can often lean toward a deeply fuzzy, almost sticky texture, but this version still retains a bit of a doughy crumb that stays moist thanks to the ground almonds. This makes a great party cake or cozy dinner pudding when only chocolate on chocolate on chocolate will do. Serve with a good layer of cold cream.
FOR 12 TO 16 PEOPLE
FOR THE CAKE
75g dark chocolate
250g caster sugar
150 ml extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for greasing
175g ground almonds
90g cocoa powder
1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
1⁄2 tsp salt
150ml hot water
FOR THE GANACHE
175 g dark chocolate, plus additional chocolate shavings to garnish
220 ml fresh cream
- Start with the cake. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C convection heat/gas 4. Grease and line a 20cm cake tin.
- Melt the chocolate in short bursts in the microwave or in a bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water. Let cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar and oil. Add the eggs and beat until smooth, then stir in the melted chocolate.
- In another bowl, combine ground almonds, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Stir this mixture into the wet ingredients until fully combined. Pour the hot water and mix well before pouring the batter into the cake pan.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean. Leave the cake to cool in the mold and during this time make the ganache.
- Finely chop the chocolate and place it in a bowl. Heat the cream in a small saucepan until steaming, just before it comes to a boil. Pour the cream over the chocolate and let stand for 30 seconds. Start stirring slowly from the middle, working outwards until you get a smooth ganache. If there are still a few unmelted lumps, place the bowl over a pan of simmering water and stir until everything is melted.
- Place the cooled cake on a rack and place the rack on a baking sheet or parchment paper to catch the chocolate. Pour the ganache over the cake, letting it drip down the sides. Use a palette knife to help the ganache drip onto uncovered areas. Let the cake set for 30 minutes before covering it with chocolate shavings.
Buy the book
Our recipes come from A Good Day to Bake: Simple Baking Recipes for Every Mood by Benjamina Ebuehi, published by Quadrille, price £22. To order a copy for £18.70 until April 11, go to mailshop.co.uk/books. Free UK delivery on orders over £20.